Thursday, February 19, 2009

Christian= community activitst

Dear Friends-
In light of the racist cartoon that was recently published by the New York post, I am re-running a post about the Christian's role in fighting for social justice. Please consider the message in the context of today's events. After reading it, please reach out to the NY Post and its advertisers to express your feelings on the issue. Information for the paper and its advertisers are below.

In the meantime, stay blessed and "keep fighting the good fight"! K.

Dear Friends-

Over the years, I've heard Christians say that we shouldn't concern ourselves with the cares of the world- be in the world and not of it. That statement has partial truth.

Christ wants us to love each other as He loved the church. Part of that love involves concern for each others, calling us to demand justice for those deemed "the least" in this society. If you have the special blessing of being a person of color, a woman or anyone with a heightened sensitivity to oppression, you have a special responsibility to respond to God's Word on seeking justice on behalf of our brothers and sisters. I could point out numerous verses in the Bible where God call us to be at the forefront of issues of civil rights but I leave you an excerpt of Dr. King's Drumline Instinct Speech, delivered on Feb. 4, 1968 at Ebeneezer Baptist Church in Atlanta.(See a portion of the speech below)


Dr. King talks about injustice arising from the evil mindset that one group feels a divine sense of superiority over everyone else. He eloquently expresses the premise under which I live my life and the type of things that I want said about me at my funeral. Every time we think that issues of justice have nothing to do with us personally, look to the Word and see what God says about our responsibility. We can't pray for change. We can't hope that things get better. We have to be the change we want to see. Jesus was the quintessential community activitst. He fought for "the least of us" and demanded that we speak the truth about the evils of oppression against society's minority.

According to 2 Peter 1:3: His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

Pray, reflect on your own life, and talk to your children.


Stay blessed, K.



Every now and then I guess we all think realistically (Yes, sir) about that day when we will be victimized with what is life's final common denominator—that something that we call death. We all think about it. And every now and then I think about my own death and I think about my own funeral. And I don't think of it in a morbid sense. And every now and then I ask myself, "What is it that I would want said?" And I leave the word to you this morning. If any of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don't want a long funeral. And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, tell them not to talk too long. (Yes) And every now and then I wonder what I want them to say. Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peace Prize—that isn't important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards—that's not important. Tell them not to mention where I went to school. (Yes) I'd like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others. (Yes) I'd like for somebody to say that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody. I want you to say that day that I tried to be right on the war question. (Amen) I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry. (Yes) And I want you to be able to say that day that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked. (Yes) I want you to say on that day that I did try in my life to visit those who were in prison. (Lord) I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity. (Yes) Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice. (Amen) Say that I was a drum major for peace. (Yes) I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter. (Yes) I won't have any money to leave behind. I won't have the fine and luxurious things of life to leave behind. But I just want to leave a committed life behind. (Amen) And that's all I want to say. If I can help somebody as I pass along, If I can cheer somebody with a word or song, If I can show somebody he's traveling wrong, Then my living will not be in vain. If I can do my duty as a Christian ought, If I can bring salvation to a world once wrought, If I can spread the message as the master taught, Then my living will not be in vain. Yes, Jesus, I want to be on your right or your left side, (Yes) not for any selfish reason. I want to be on your right or your left side, not in terms of some political kingdom or ambition. But I just want to be there in love and in justice and in truth and in commitment to others, so that we can make of this old world a new world.
Calling for a Boycott of New York Post Advertisers
By Christopher Netter
National Advertisers: Bank of America City Bank HSBC Capital One Bank Bloomingdale's Department Store Diesel Clothing Line Baby Phat Clothing Line Jill Stuart Clothing Line
New York Local Advertisers: Madison Square Garden ASA College Paragon Sports First Platinum Capital Corporation Russian Tea Room

No comments:

Post a Comment