Friday, February 20, 2009

What should we be doing during these difficult times?

Dear Friends-
As another work week comes to a close, it's time to accept that another week has gone by without new information about my job search. I'm not necessarily depressed about it but waiting for the phone to ring has been much more difficult than being out of work.

Like many others on this list, I've had dreams that I've pushed aside in order to keep the bills paid. These difficult times actually present us with an opportunity to pursue some of those dreams but if your finances aren't growing as they should, you don't focus your energies on fulfilling them. I know so many people who are unemployed now but when they were working, they dreamed about opening their own businesses, switching careers, or quitting their jobs to stay home with their children. Unfortunately, the economic crisis has presented us with the double-edged sword of having the freedom to do we've always wanted but now we've lost of our financial safety net. It's easy to panic when (as a new business owner) no one's spending money, (as a career changer) you have to compete for jobs with LOTS of experienced job seekers, and (as a new stay-at-home parent) you don't have enough saved.

But what should we be doing? I have no clue. All I know is that I've been relying on God's promise to take care of me if I just have faith. I've been looking for a job since June of 2008, yet I've never gone without the basics. Would my life be easier if I could run my new business and have a steady paycheck? Of course! But I trust that I'm going through all of this for a reason. I've been blessed with a level of peace and abundance that surpasses my own understanding. Things will work out exactly the way they are supposed to- and God is always on time.

Read today's message and pray for that friend or family member who is going through a similar situation. Pray for their peace and happiness; pray that their faith increases and their worries decrease. Most importantly, pray that the deepest desires of their hearts come true, so that when it all works out, God will be glorified.

Take care and have a great weekend!
K.


Matthew 6
25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment